A comfortable jumpsuit trumps so many a maxi dress and maxi skirt on those days you don’t want to be bothered with all the excess fabric around your ankles. Since I still can’t wear heels because of my car accident…my shoe wardrobe is being just a tad bit altered.
Now, you should know, I don’t grab “high heels” as usual attire for daily wear, but I do wear a lot of kitten heels and wedges. However, at this point, I can’t even wear them. “Tennis shoes” only I am told, but they just don’t look good with “regular” clothes. So, I decided to pickup a pair of soft soled padded “tennis-like” flats.
This jumpsuit is so comfortable…I did not think I would like it with all the flounce on the chest. But, it seemed to have turned out alright. It was sort of low for my taste, but of course that was just a matter of shortening the straps.
I like the way the pants hang, with the “straight legs” and slightly “high-water” affect. I did think about putting elastic in the ankles and making the legs just a bit more narrow, but NAAAHHH!! that look is just not for me y’all. I’ll try it another day, you have to give me a moment to wrap myself around that 80’s look. I didn’t wear them then, so I’ll need a little more time now—say another 30 years? What do you think?
Of course a jacket will up the anti on any outfit. This RTW jacket is made of a heavy weight ponte knit I bought a few years ago. So bright and just the topping for any sun-welcoming top when you need to coverup. Another covering I’m working to try is the draped front “cardigan” which I haven’t managed to push myself to sew just yet. Give me some time, I’ll jump on board eventually.
I started making this jumpsuit a couple of months ago as a class project “sew-along” with a student who wanted to make this her garment. Of course, I wanted to make sure I knew all the problems that could arise for her, so I decided to make it for myself as well, and she followed along stitch-by-stitch as we worked to completion. I am a proud momma right now!!
|Image use approved by student.
Right off the bat I found a little problem, which I quickly altered for simplicity of construction. The flounce is applied on top of the bodice and then a facing is sewn on and turned to the inside, thereby, creating 3 layers at the top.
Sewing the flounce in like that was totally unnecessary. So, I omitted the facing and we sewed the straps onto the bodice, and then sewed the flounce wrong side to wrong side on the inside and turned it to the outside, causing the raw edge at the neck and under arm to be covered by the flounce. Another reason I love sewing for myself as well.
I cut a size 14 up top and a size 16 on the bottom and graded in to the waist. For the top, I added a zipper to mine in the back mainly because my hips required more room for entry compared to the difference at the bust and waist. So, my zipper opening needed to be at least 9 inches in addition to the top edge, whereas the patterns regular “slit” opening only allowed for an additional 4 inches. That just means that the built in “strapless” opening on the top + the back “slit” should total whatever my hips are in order to get them down for nature calls. 39+9 is 48″
Have a great day. Until next time….
“I don’t know everything,
but, I do know a lot about some things,
so I’ll teach you a
few things of what I do know.”